Here goes a picture overload of our baby boy's birth and a few of his first couple of weeks!
We went into the hospital Sunday evening, August 11th and I was induced (which definitely wasn't the plan but worked out really well in the end)
My labor was just under 8 hours and Alastair was born Monday, August 12, 2013 at 10:46 am. Here is his first picture!
He was 5 lbs 10 oz and 19 inches long, just a skinny little boy!
I love this shot, it's the perfect terrible-cheesy-annoyed face for how he probably felt at this moment.
He cried a little bit at birth but afterwards was super chill and very relaxed.
Our hospital was great and we were well taken care of for sure but I couldn't WAIT to get home!
He is just a tiny little thing and has been such a great baby.
My mom came and stayed for 10 days after he was born and it was so fun to have her come! We got out and about quite a bit and Alastair was perfect.
Except for the time that he pooped all over me when I changed him in my lap in public, trying to be very discrete and failing.
When he was just a week old, we took him to see the doctors on the Craniofacial team at Duke Children's Hospital for his cleft. He has a unilateral cleft lip and alveolar ridge but no cleft palate! This was great news, we were expecting much worse. They took these dental impressions to make a retainer called NAM (nasal-alveolar molding).
A week later we went to the craniofacial orthodontist's office to get the plate fitted.
It's a very cool procedure where the plate molds his gum line and will eventually (with an added nasal stint) mold his deformed nostril and stretch his skin above his lips. All of that will be done in the next 8-12 weeks leading up to his first surgery and making the results a lot better. It's hard sometimes but it will be worth it in the end!
He is such a great baby and we love him so much!
Yay! Thank you for the update! He is an adorable little man! Technology is freaking amazing, that's all I can say.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe his hair! And how tiny he is :) so cute. I'm glad you updated your blog so I can see his handsome face. Glad all is going well. Congrats
ReplyDelete